River City Casino & Hotel: St. Louis, Missouri
St. Louis is a remarkable destination for just about any genre. Whether you are looking for professional sports, delectable dining or naughty nightlife…you’ll likely find it here. The latest addition to the list is the $82 million RIVER CITY CASINO & Hotel where the property underwent a massive expansion of a 193-room hotel adjacent to the casino. The new hotel provides guests with a unique experience, from the luxury suites on the seventh floor to additional suites that will include a bar and surround sound, all in a premium downtown location.
The 90,000 square foot casino featuring slots, table games and five restaurants, opened in 2010 and is located just 10 minutes from downtown St. Louis. Since its opening, River City Casino has largely been a regional destination. The hotel is expected to attract more out of town guests. It’s also expected to keep players at the casino for more than just a few hours or a day.
“We had guests saying, ‘We wish we could stay and play longer,’” said Gerad Hardy, director of hotel and development for River City Casino. “The expansion is in response to what the guests were saying.”
Also included in the expansion is a covered parking deck with 1,700 spaces and a 14,000 square foot events center where country crooner Dierks Bentley performed in this past June.
The hotel boasts posh rooms and amenities and hotel officials have reached their goal of creating something special. The hotel opened August 28 and interest has been popular since June, according to Hardy. “We had people calling us two months before we opened,” he said.
The rooms range from “standard” king and queen rooms to luxury suites, but even the standard rooms are top-notch. The bathrooms feature overhead rain showers and televisions in the bathroom mirror. The rooms also have the latest in technology with iPod dock/alarm clocks that allows guests to play their favorite tunes. Guests also have access to free wi-fi and a fitness center.
The seventh floor features seven luxury suites with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the Mississippi River. The 900 square-foot luxury suites have parlors and separate bedrooms with king-sized pillow top mattresses. “You don’t have to choose a view,” Hardy said. “All of the luxury suites have a great view. It almost takes your breath away.” The 1400 square-foot Director’s Suite features all of the amenities of the luxury suites, plus a claw-foot bathtub and a 47-inch high definition television in the parlor room. And for guests that want to keep their feet on the ground, the entire bottom floor consists of luxury suites with patios. “You open your door to a 175-foot patio,” Hardy said.
EAT & ENJOY
River City has five restaurants on site, each with a different specialty and atmosphere:
- Having received several awards for its cuisine, the 1904 Steak House celebrates the 1904 World’s Fair, which was held in St. Louis. The signature entrées are the prime dry-aged steaks. The wine selection features 500 vintages from around the world.
- Lewy Nine’s Café pays homage to the French King who was often referred to as “Saint Louis.” The café is a 50’s-style diner and offers a steak and eggs for $7.77.
- For those who love great ale, the Beerhouse features 100 microbrews from around the world and 32 beers on tap. The Brewhouse Ale is made at River City.
- Burger Brothers is a classic burger diner open seven days a week. The eatery features a different milkshake each day.
- The Great Food Exposition satisfies every palate with dishes ranging from pizza to exotic Asian fare. Diners must remember to save room for dessert and watch the world-class chefs pull pastries and pies from the old-fashioned Dutch oven.
River City lives up to its moniker of being “the best city in St. Louis” by offering everything one could want without having to leave the property. For coffee aficionados, there’s Peet’s Coffee and Tea where players can take a coffee break and enjoy a tasty baked good. ETC offers River City Casino & Hotel merchandise and other sundries. Judy’s Velvet Lounge features slots and flat screen TV, and live music on select nights.
The hotel and great food complement what ultimately drives guests to River City — the casino. While it’s only been open for three years, patrons have discovered a variety of offerings at the casino, including:
- 2,000 slot machines that provide entertainment, and hopefully high payouts for players. New slots include Monopoly and Spiderman, with NASCAR coming soon for those who love racing. Dolly Parton slots features her hit songs and a bonus “9 to 5” payout.
- River City has 55 table games in the middle of the casino, including blackjack and craps. Players can place bets on games they may not have tried, too. The Pai Gow table combines the Chinese game of Pai Gow with poker and offers three and four card poker.
- The poker rooms have 14 tables and open at 10 a.m. Monday through Thursday, and 24 hours a day Friday through Sunday. Tournaments are held Thursday through Sunday beginning at 3 p.m.
- The High Limit room has three double-deck blackjack games, two 21 +3 games, two traditional blackjack tables and high-level slots machines. Table games open at 10 a.m. and close at 5 a.m. each day.
- Bar Central features EZ Baccarat tables and a variety of food and drinks.
- River City Casino & Hotel has already attracted national attention and will host the Heartland Poker Tour Friday, November 1-Monday, November 11.
Gerad Hardy encourages businesses and organizations to host conferences and meetings on the property. The hotel has 10,000 square feet of banquet space to host groups with up to as many as 1,400 people.
With the new Events Center, River City Casino & Hotel has lured some top-notch entertainers. The featured artists in August included Kenny Loggins and Toto. In September, popular 80’s band Night Ranger performs. Air Supply is scheduled in October, and for those who like some country flavor- Jamey Johnson will be in concert. November brings Sara Evans and Thunder from Down Under.
To mark the opening of the hotel, River City Casino & Hotel is offering a special; Guests who book for a Sunday through Thursday stay will receive the room and two complimentary buffets for only $159.
For more information visit rivercity.com or call 888.578.7289.
BY KIMBERLY JARRETT